Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Too Safe

There's an old Belgian proverb that reads something like this:

"If you're waiting for your ship to come in ...make sure you've sent one out."

It's a good word. We're in a 'play it safe' time in our history. The economic slide has people hunkering down and battening down the hatches. People are sitting on whatever money they have. They're staying close to home. They're staying with the tried and true. And they just might be missing the ship that needs to go out. Because if It doesn't go out there's no chance it will ever come back in.

I have a hunch that the real winners in today's economic climate are going to be the 'risk takers'. There's still money to be made. It's going to take some vision and gumption to make it happen.

Now, making more money isn't what rings my bell. But I am asking myself some questions about my 'vision and gumption'. Do I have what it takes to make a difference in today's economic, political and overall cultural climate? I think so. I want to.

Do you have what it takes? Are you playing it real safe these days? Hearing any God whispers in your ear? Is there a boat you need to send out in the hopes it's going to come back in? Have you had a vision check lately? How's the 'ol intestinal fortitude these days?

As a Jesus follower I know that God isn't done with me yet. As far as I can tell Jesus hasn't returned? There's still some work that needs to be done. So, what do I do in these interesting times? How safe do I want to play it? Is there an opportunity out there for me ...and for you?

I think now's the time to blow the whistle on playing it 'too safe'. Maybe we ought to be asking each other some interesting questions about listening to God, his call on our life, the possibilities for some risky ministry and some journeys to the edge of adventure.

Lots of folks are hoping and wishing that these crisis times will pass quickly. What if they're meant to be? Maybe it's a wake up call. A chance to seize the day. To dream again. To take a chance. To trust God and see what he can do with some stuff buried deep in our heart. This is the time ...don't play it too safe.

No comments: